Thursday, August 23, 2012

On the Variable Nature of Time

Time is of such variable density. A decade may hold sufficient experiences to fill up a life; even several lives. Thirty-seven years might not contain enough to satisfy a vigorous person for one month.

When I think of Labrador, my remembrance shoots into those ten years liek a bird diving into a forest. It swoops on and on through turnings and changes, seasons and episodes. People appear, speak, act, their stories unfold. Labrador is limitless and never the same.

When I call to mind evens from my years as barracks master they all seem to have taken place on a single day. The weather, the grey ilght, is always the same. My ageing body inhabits its uniform in unchanging settings and routines...

From The Afterlife of George Carwright by John Steffler, page 260.

This reminds me of the difference between time on a holiday, and everyday life. How can we cram so much living, so many different activities, so much colour and light and beauty, into a mere 7 days! (I am thinking here, for example, of a trip to Cuba). A week at home is much paler in comparison.

This can also describe the difference between my recent student life and my office work life. The last few years of office work have been like a blink in the eye, in terms of their monotony. Student life, however, was continually opening my eyes. New discoveries, new faces, new spaces, new spatial alignment. Interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment